Past Holiday Home Tours

2015

Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015
Noon – 4p.m.

Bennett House

333-willow-aveOWNER/HOST:  Patricia Murphy
ADDRESS: 333 Willow Avenue
YEAR BUILT: 1880
STYLE: Mid-Victorian Italianate
NRHP LISTED: Within Bluff/Willow/Third Street Historic District

This house was built for John and Charlotte Bennet. John Bennett was one of Council Bluffs’ earliest settlers. Bennett served as county treasurer, county auditor and alderman. In 1888, he became head cashier for the State Savings Bank.

The house has maintained much of its original condition and features beautiful interior molding and fireplaces, frosted glass doors, an ornate staircase and many period appropriate light fixtures.

Bregant House

517 4th St., BregantOWNER/HOST:  Preserve Council Bluffs
ADDRESS:  517 South Fourth Street
YEAR BUILT: 1912
STYLE:  American Bungalow
NRHP LISTED:  October 16, 2013

Designated a local landmark in 2013.

Jean and Inez Bregant were little people. Jean was 45 inches tall, his wife, 42 inches tall. They were former vaudeville stars and nationally known spokespeople for the Council Bluffs-based Woodward Candy Company. The home, thought to be the only one of its kind in the nation, was built with diminutive features such as a fireplace, dining room buffet and a 48″ bathtub to accommodate the Bregants’ size.

Doolittle House

doolittle-204.FifthAveOWNER/Host: Chris and Steve Gorman
ADDRESS: 203 Fifth Avenue
YEAR BUILT: 1922
STYLE: Craftsman/Prairie
NRHP LISTED: Within the Bluff/Willow/Third Street Historic District

Hiram Doolittle and his wife Marie were owners of Bluff City Lumber and Coal Company. The house which sits on the corner of Clark and 5th Avenue feature dual sunrooms. It has been lovingly restored by Chris and Steve Gorman.

Farnsworth House

This highly ornate, well-maintained Queen Anne at 301 S. Eighth St., built in 1886, housed two well-known owners – Shepard Farnsworth, a banker, and Judge John P. Tinley, and their families

OWNER/HOST:  Wayne E. Andersen
ADDRESS:  301 South Eighth Street
YEAR BUILT: 1886
STYLE:  Queen Anne
NRHP LISTED:  Within the Proposed South 8th Street Historic District

The house was designed by noted local architect Stiles E. Maxon and built by Vincent Battin in 1886 for Emma and Shepard Farnsworth, who was at the time cashier of First National Bank. In 1920 it was sold to Judge John P. Tinley and family. It retains many original ornate exterior features. Interior features include molded plaster ceilings, acid etched glass door panels, stained glass, and exuberant fireplaces, woodwork and staircase.

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

StPaulEpiscopalChurch-22DillmanDrTiffany Windows are a featured historic display.

OWNER/HOST:  St. Paul’s Episcopal Church / Reverend Aaron Hudson
ADDRESS:  22 Dillman Drive

Although a newer building and not a historic property, this year’s tour includes St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. When the new church was built, St. Paul’s installed the 1880’sTiffany stained glass windows from their original location in downtown Council Bluffs.

 

Van Brunt House

The Van Brunt house at 203 Bluff St. was built in the Queen Anne style in 1890.

OWNER/HOST:  Pavielle Wuerfele / Posana Yoga and Wellness
ADDRESS:  203 Fifth Avenue
YEAR BUILT: 1890
NRHP LISTED:  Within the Bluff/Willow/Third Street Historic District

Henry Van Brunt was a dealer in buggies, carriages, wagons and harnesses as well as agricultural implements whose company eventually became part of the John Deere Company. The house has recently been restored and features many of the original leaded glass windows, an ornate staircase and elaborate woodwork in the front hall.

2015 Florists & Sponsors

Local florists participating in the decoration of each location on the tour are Bloom works, Madison Avenue Hy-Vee Floral, Loess Hills Floral Studio, Sherbondy’s and Super Saver Floral.

Other event sponsors are Barley’s Bar and Restaurant, Dr. Bill Brayman, Council Bluffs Savings Bank, The Daily Nonpareil, Dixie Quick’s Public House. Heartland Properties, Hoy-Kilnoski Funeral Home, Key Real Estate, Linda Primmer State Farm Insurance, NP Dodge Realty, Richard and Deanne Miller and Security National Bank.

2014

Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014
Noon – 4p.m.

Bebbington House

bebbington_2OWNER/HOST:  Sharon R. Babbitt
ADDRESS:  200 Park Avenue
YEAR BUILT: 1897
STYLE:  Queen Anne front-gable cottage
NRHP LISTED:  Within the Park/Glen Historic District

Carol Bebbington Hart inherited the real estate from her mother in 1912, divided it into building lots and grandiosely named it Bebbington Place, a little enclave within the Park/Glen Historic District.

Architecturally, this home is in the Queen Anne front-gable cottage style, seen in the pediments of the porch roof and over the square window bay on the front of the house. Old vinyl siding was removed, and unusual decorative lattice work was revealed in the front and side peaks, as well as decorative trim work surrounding the front bay window.

B’nai Israel Synagogue

Synagogue-618mynsterOWNER/HOST:  B’nai Israel Synagogue
ADDRESS:  618 Mynster Street
YEAR BUILT: 1931
STYLE:  Religious Eclectic
NRHP LISTED:  March 7, 2007

B’nai Israel Synagogue’s current all-brick building was erected in 1931, replacing the original 1904 wood-frame structure destroyed by fire in 1930. The synagogue is a notable example of a public building design by local Council Bluffs architect J. Chris Jensen, and reflects the congregation’s Jewish Orthodox origins in its design.

Later remodeling reflects the subsequent changes in the congregation’s outlook toward more conservative and Reconstructionist approaches to Judaism. The synagogue is representative of a diminishing number of buildings associated with the Jewish religious experience in southwest Iowa.

Bregant House

517 4th St., BregantOWNER/HOST:  Preserve Council Bluffs
ADDRESS:  517 South Fourth Street
YEAR BUILT: 1912
STYLE:  American Bungalow
NRHP LISTED:  October 16, 2013

Designated a local landmark in 2013.

Jean and Inez Bregant were little people. Jean was 45 inches tall, his wife, 42 inches tall. They were former vaudeville stars and nationally known spokespeople for the Council Bluffs-based Woodward Candy Company. The home, thought to be the only one of its kind in the nation, was built with diminutive features such as a fireplace, dining room buffet and a 48″ bathtub to accommodate the Bregants’ size.

Clinton House

OWNER/Host: Gordon Hitchcock133 Bluff, Clinton
ADDRESS: 133 Bluff Street
YEAR BUILT: 1868
STYLE: Brick Italianate
NRHP LISTED: Within the Bluff/Willow/Third Street Historic District

Samuel Clinton was one of Council Bluffs’ most prominent pioneering citizens. Features of the house built for Samuel and Mary Clinton include a beautiful circular staircase in the entrance hall and magnificent views of the Omaha skyline from the second story windows.

Hughes House

Martin Hughes HouseOWNER/HOST:  Bob and Ellen Rosser
ADDRESS:  903 South Third Street
YEAR BUILT: 1887
STYLE:  Queen Anne and Gothic Style
NRHP LISTED:  September 27, 1984

The Martin Hughes House was built in 1887 for Martin Hughes an Irish immigrant who became the owner of a Council Bluffs brick yard that produced 3.5 million bricks a year. His home, a mixture of Queen Anne and the Gothic architectural styles, was built to showcase the decorative architectural features that could be achieved with brick. The home features copper and cement decorative features on the exterior and magnificent stained glass, woodwork and fireplaces inside.

Old Kirn Gym/Three Points Loft Apartments

3pointlofts-510bluffstOWNER/HOST:  Selden Co.
ADDRESS:  510 Bluff Street
YEAR BUILT: 1926
NRHP LISTED:  Within the Bluff/Willow/Third Street Historic District

Originally called Abraham Lincoln gym, it was an annex for the high school that once sat across the street. In 1967 the district moved Abraham Lincoln High School to newer quarters and turned the old high school building into a junior high, christening it Kirn Junior High.

In 1976, a fire destroyed the Kirn building, and the district tore it down, rebuilding in its current location. The separate gym survived, and was used for various school events until it was closed. The building has now been converted into loft apartments, but has retained the original gym floor, pull-out bleachers and basketball hoops.

St. Peter’s Church

StPetersChurch-OneBluffOWNER/HOST: St. Peter’s Church
ADDRESS: One Bluff Street
YEAR BUILT: 1886/1887
STYLE: Gothic Revival Design
NRHP LISTED: July 24, 1992
HOST: St. Peter’s Church Congregation 

St. Peter’s Catholic Church was first conceived by a group of German women in Council Bluffs who, in 1884, each pledged to contribute 25 cents a month to the building fund. The spirit of these founding women resulted in the building you will visit being constructed just three years, opening April 25, 1887. The beautiful interior of the sanctuary, including and statuary and frescoes was restored in 2001.

2014 Florists & Sponsors

Local florists participating in the decoration of each location on the tour are Bloom Works, Bradley Floral, Corum’s, Diller’s Greenhouses, Hy-Vee Floral, Loess Hills Floral Studio and Tony Milbourne. Other event sponsors are Alegent Mercy Health, Barley’s, Dr. Bill Brayman, Council Bluffs Savings Bank, Heartland Realty, Hoy-Kilnoski Funeral Home, Key Real Estate, Linda Primer State Farm Insurance, McGinn Law, NP Dodge Realty, Richard Miller, Security national Bank and Dr. Ted Hoff.

Join us next season

Take the Historic Homes for the Holidays Tour Next year

PCB logo in black and white
Preserve Council Bluffs is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote and preserve the heritage of Council Bluffs through its architecture, sites, and people.

© 2016 Preserve Council Bluffs | All Rights Reserved
Website Crafted by Goofy Kitten Design Development, LLC