We Live In”
Experience historic Council
Bluffs through its past.
They came from Germany, Ireland, England, Denmark, France, Canada, and the eastern and southern states. Each of their stories has a common thread: they left their homelands in search of a better life for themselves and/or their families. Some came with financial resources; most reached their goal through hard work and determination. They watched the tiny settlement grow from a frontier town, to a major outfitting station for those traveling west, to the fifth largest rail center in the country.
The History We Live In series attempts to tell their stories, as accurately as possible, through the homes they built by the architecture reflecting the culture of the times. In the very early days, houses did not have numbers; they were identified by the name of the occupants (e.g. the Snow House). This practice continued for several generations after numbers came into use.
Preserve Council Bluffs acknowledges the following sources of information: the Pottawattamie County auditor’s office; the reference department of the Council Bluffs Public Library; Council Bluffs Community Development Department; family members, homeowners, and individuals; and especially the documents relating to the nominations of the historic residential districts to the National Register of Historic Places.
Michael Salerno- Joseph Disalvo- Antoni Solo- Antonio Spoto- Tony Profetta- Paul Garafalo- Frank Scarpello- Carmelo Zaccone- Phillip Leggio- Octovio Carrubba- Frank Dinatalli- Joseph Amato- Mariano Dinovo – Frank Mancino – Nicholas Roppolo – Joseph Bonfonte - Tony...read more
Dell Morgan’s great-great-great-grandfather came from Wales in the seventeenth century and settled in Herkimer County, New York, where the family was represented for three generations. According to an article in the May 5, 1934 edition of the Nonpareil, Morgan is a...read more
Small, irregular parcels of land. The Bebbingtons. The street that wasn’t. The Park/Glen Avenues Historic District, so named in the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, is comprised of two parallel streets: Park Avenue and Glen Avenue, with two...read more
Fayette Orlando Gleason (better known as F.O.) was born in New York in1839, according to census records. Laura Atkins was born in England in 1853. They were married on November 21, 1870 in Pottawattamie County. Gleason came to Council Bluffs about 1860. His obituary...read more
I grew up in southwest Iowa listening to two radio stations: KOIL (Omaha) and KMA (Shenandoah). I did not realize that 1) both stations were founded to promote the founder’s business, not to generate income- as has been the purpose of radio stations for decades;...read more
A grocer in Anamosa, Iowa, had no easy way to get potatoes from his basement to the main floor of his store. The year was 1892. He went to the local machine shop, owned by John Kimball, the father of William (Willis) H. and Charles E. Kimball. The company was founded...read more
John Joseph Shea was born in 1859 near the village of Business Corners, Van Buren County, Iowa. His parents were John Shea and Ellen Flynn Shea, natives of County Kerry, Ireland. It is not known if there were other children. In the 1860s, the family moved to Jefferson...read more
Today’s LEGO aficionados would have had a field day. Others would have hired a contractor to put the house together. Either way, a mail-order house from Sears Roebuck & Co. was a good investment. Prior to 1908, Sears sold furniture, appliances, and nearly...read more
C. G. (Curtis) Ouren was born at Living Springs near Treynor, Iowa, in 1871, the son of a Norwegian immigrant who operated a stage freighter across the great plains. He attended country schools, working during the summers on the farm where he learned the details of...read more
Soldier, gambler, landowner, community leader, confidence man, livestock grower, philanthropist – stories of Benjamin Marks have been kept alive for more than a hundred years. Some are true and some are just… stories. Those who’ve heard anything of the life and times...read more
The tiny house at 517 Fourth Street was the home of Jean and Inez Bregant who met while performing in a vaudeville show at Coney Island, New York. They were married in Council Bluffs on Christmas Eve, 1905. Jean and Inez were perfectly proportioned “little people”....read more
© 2016 Preserve Council Bluffs | All Rights Reserved
Website Crafted by Goofy Kitten Design Development, LLC